Friday, February 18, 2011

Open Mic Night/Debut

This Wednesday, I made my public debut as an artist. It was at an open mic night at Buffalo Wild Wings. I had sang before at events on campus, but with my largest crowd being only about 8. Therefore, with about 40 people in the bar, I was nervous. I began second-guessing my ability as an artist. I am comfortable with my singing, but it was the first time ever playing guitar in front of anyone other than my closest friends. I was also going to debut two original songs, so there was a lot for me to prove that night.
My name got called and I walked up, the nerves slightly went away. Once I started singing the first song, "Sparks Fly" by Taylor Swift, I felt in my element and I was loving it! I received great applause after each song. While singing my original songs, I could see people's feet tapping along to the beat, which made me feel awesome!
I have had so many people tell me that I should try out for American Idol or go to Nashville to pitch my songs, but that's just not in my priority list right now. I want to become a journalist first and just do small local gigs with my music on the side in the process. I would like to pursue my music someday though because it did feel good playing my music in front of an audience. By making my first debut, I had began chasing the dream of becoming a musician. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment