Friday, February 11, 2011

Dreaming of the Independent Lifestyle

Last year, I commuted to Averett every day, which became a hassle. I didn't like commuting because I felt left out of all of the fun things that all of the campus residents got to do. Also, I was tired of having a curfew at home. I felt that I should get on campus to experience the college lifestyle and to finally be an independent person.
My parents had already told me that they weren't going to pay for me to live on campus when I was living at home essentially free. After that, I heard of the RA position and that it paid for the room expense. Therefore, I applied for the position. I had my heart set on moving on campus and by not getting the job, I would have been upset, but I kept a positive attitude. The day came when the letters went out that said if you got the job or not. I opened my letter and I immediately saw a "Congratulations." I couldn't believe it! I got the job! I was going to get on campus!
My parents were not so thrilled. They had then realized that their baby girl was moving out of the house. The day I left, it was sad and I cried that morning when I woke up, but I knew it was part of growing up. Most college students move to go to college and it was time for me to do so as well.
I do not regret moving out. I love the independent lifestyle of washing my own clothes and making my own decisions. I felt like it was the best thing for me at this point in my life because I am about to graduate and move out into the work force and get my own place, and this experience has prepapred me for that. I honestly feel like it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was something I had to do.
If I wouldn't have gotten the RA position, I wouldn't have been able to move, but everything worked out. Once again, I saw an opportunity, I went for it, and I achieved it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment