Saturday, January 22, 2011

Scholarships, what a blessing

In 11th grade, things got real, it was time to start organizing plans for college. For the longest time, I wanted to be a meteorologist and was going to go to NC State, but in 11th grade, something told me that I should pursue journalism. I immediately looked at Averett's catalog online, saw they had a journalism program and the decision was over. I didn't want to move away from home so my decision to go to Averett was final.
The process began my senior year to start applying to Averett and applying for scholarships. The application for Averett took like 10 minutes, but the scholarship process was a headache. My mom and I went to several seminars coaching us on how to fill out FAFSA and other scholarship techniques. It was overwhelming, but I told my parents then, I said, "Since I make good grades, I know I can get scholarships. I don't want you two to have to pay hardly anything on my education, leave it to me." I took that mindset and ran with it.
I applied for scholarship after scholarship, some I received, some I didn't. However, after all the decisions were made and I had received some of them, I ended up with a $3,000 credit after my freshman year at Averett. I couldn't believe that all that hard work had paid off. I looked at my parents and said "I told you, I got this, don't you worry about a thing."
This year during first semester, my credit paid for the balance after the presidential scholarship. Second semester, the credit was gone, but all that was owed was about $4,000. My mom wrote the check and said "I am so proud of you. I never imagined we would get you through college and only have paid this much. You got out there and worked hard for what you received." I said, "I know, I can't believe it either."

No comments:

Post a Comment